Skip to content
- In what way is the concept of Shakespeare like the idea of “God” or “Death” or “the start of the world”?
- The poem is divided into four stanzas. Can you briefly summarize the idea that is expressed in each stanza?
- How many of the quotations from Shakespeare can you identify?
- Layton sees Shakespeare as the poet’s “unclimbable mountain.” Can you suggest individuals who might be “unclimbable mountains” in other lines of endeavor? Are there any in your life?
- Do such unclimbable mountains tend to discourage or inspire people? Discuss.
- What is the tone of the poem? Is Layton angry? Amused? Discouraged? Envious? What reaction does he expect from the reader? Amusement? Sympathy?